Thanks to Joseph for this spirited rejoinder, and to Krassimir for
reminding us that convergence is perhaps more likely to succeed than
any single-minded approach.

With Krassimir, I am in agreement. I have probably overstated the
priority of my own approach, even if I do believe it to be a best
middle ground from which to begin formalization. This is a big
challenge and I should celebrate the diversity of approaches more than
I have. This is my path, and I have taken this opportunity to make my
reasons for pursuing it clear. Like most of us, it is sent as a sort
of mating call, in case others might find interesting insights there
too.

my homuncular assumptions, demonstrate where the autogenic model makes
them, and deacribe in what ways you think that autogenesis is somehow
not physically realizable. I admit to being blind to any of these, but
I don't want to just convince you, I want to get it right. However, I
am not willing to live with unresolved dualisms. And I don't quite get
your comment about "dualisms that do exist in nature" and how you
connect this with my presence/absence perspective. Perhaps this has to
do with the fact that I am not satisfied that certain dualisms arising
from quantum theories are fundamental, rather than the result of
incomplete theory, and your own view which seems to embrace them. In
which case we may need to agree to disagree.

I am slightly perplexed and don't quite follow your implications
regarding the specific proposal made in this piece. The dualisms I am
hoping to resolve in this essay orbit around the difference between
physicalistic and semiotic uses of the information concept, and about
how this implicitly reifies Descartes' res cogitans / res extensa
dualism, with reference and significance on the former side of this
divide and Shannon information (and related uses in physics) on the
latter. You can read my view as arguing that this dualism cannot
merely be left as an unanalyzed assumption if we are seeking a
complete theory of information.

I anticipate that there is much unmentioned detail that remains to be
unpacked and debated here. Pursuing some of these details could be
very informative, even if it doesn't change entrenched positions.

I think that it is interesting that so many responses have betrayed a
sort of thinly veiled irritation and anger. To me it suggest that we
are close to a nerve—i.e. some critical issues that are of central
importance.

Thanks, Terry

On 1/30/15, joe.bren...@bluewin.ch <joe.bren...@bluewin.ch> wrote:
> [...]
> rigorous physical foundation upon which” future complex theories of
> information may be based. If, as I contend, Terry’s approach has failed to
> take into account the fundamentally dualistic physical properties of real
> systems, it is hard to see how it could do so.
>
> In his reply to Loet, regarding cognitive processes, Terry writes: “As I
> have said a number of times, my goal is not to deal with all aspects of the
> information concept, and certainly not at the level of human thought. I
> merely propose to dissolve the implicit dualism in our current concepts at
> the most basic level, so that for example it will be possible to develop a
> scientifically grounded theory of molecular biosemiotics.” No-one can argue
> with his first sentence, but the second has the implication that dualism at
> the most basic level in concepts should be absent when it is present in
> reality. Again, we can all reject the straw-man of mind-body dualism. But
> the dualisms that do exist in nature must be reflected in concepts or the
> latter are outside nature and outside science. The pair presence-absence is
> one of these that I have offered, so far without comment, as one of these.
>
> As a substitute for what is referred to as ‘the implicit dualism in our
> current concepts’, Terry seems to offer a repeated reliance on the Peircean
> categories as having explanatory power. I have discussed, accessibly, why
> these categories amount to epistemic classifications, a position that is in
> fact confirmed by a member of Terry’s group. Ontological approaches, which
> if looked at closely differ from the ones Terry correctly criticizes, are
> given a back of the hand dismissal that suggests that the writers may not be
> familiar enough with them to make the distinction.
>
> A point of agreement between Terry and me is that a concept of quantum
> information should not be mixed with one of thermodynamic information. This
> does not mean, however, that the some of the dual aspects of quantum
> entities are not relevant for thermodynamic processes, including the
> properties, production and transfer of information. Terry is absolutely
> correct to question the so-called ‘it-from-bit’ theory of information in its
> simplest form. Again, however, alternatives are available at the heart of
> which is exactly the ‘overlap’ between physics and information that Pedro
> calls for, e.g., those of Luhn and myself.
>
> I think Krassimir has a good point in concluding that we have a problem of
> civilization and that all our efforts, scientific and philosophical, should
> be made with the common good at the center of our preoccupations. This is
> the theme of the Vienna Summit 2015. Information offers the ground on which
> standard physical and biological as well as social and psychological reality
> can meet. It is from the most complex, interactive, recursive aspects of
> these realities as well as from the simplest that we must learn. Thank you.

>>> have. It is inevitable that with such a slippery concept as information

>>> www.physics.utoronto.ca/Members/logan