Hi Joseph,

Indeed there is much more to discuss than I could include in this
already too long discussion paper. The related "absence" issues are of
course critical to my thinking. I value your continued feedback on
these issues as well.

I think you do a quite adequate job of restating the autogenesis
hypothesis in your first paragraph. I also agree with your comment
about the model of autogenesis being incomplete because it does not
specify the necessary stereochemical properties of the interacting
molecules, or for that matter the energy flux that is required to
drive reciprocal catalysis, the shapes and charges of molecules that
tend to self assemble into containers (like viral capsids), the
rate-coupling required for reciprocal catalysis and self-assembly to
be reciprocally supportive, and the entropy production of the whole
process, etc., etc. Yes, much simulation and lab work lies ahead.

I actually don't see a problem there, however, nor do I think this
results in circularity. Nothing at the molecular level smuggles in
properties that define information in the model. All that matters for
my purpose is that I am not postulating any unrealistic atomic and
molecular properties.

When Ludwig Boltzmann used an idealized thought experiment for
formulate his atomistic account of the 2nd law of thermodynamics with
particles that didn't even interact, it was sufficient to model the
general logic of entropy increase. No real atoms, no real physics,
just the logic of time and random change in position. The model
captured what was minimally necessary and no more. Yes, Gibbs and
others fine-tuned the account, adding the role of free-energy and many
dimensions of interactions, but Boltzmann's thought experiment laid
the foundation. So I don't consider the abstraction involved in the
autogenesis model to be an intrinsic fatal flaw. The question is
whether or not it is too simple, or whether it violates some basic
physico-chemical principles. I can't see how you can doubt that it is
a realistic model, since both component processes are well-studied
molecular phenomena with innumerable exemplars available. Only the
linkage between them that constitutes autogenesis lacks a know
empirical exemplar. It is an empirical question whether this can
occur, and what conditions and types of molecules this would require.
I see no physico-chemical reason to doubt this possibility.

Your question about "qualitative signification" and my concept of
"work saving" seemed to lead inexplicably into a comment about "human
and social history." Lost me there. But you also seemed to suggest
that the autogenic model provided no fixed ground for making a
qualitative assessment (significance). I believe that it does.

In the autogentic model this depends on there being a fixed amount of
chemical work required to reconstitute an autogenic complex from a
specific state of disaggregation. This differential can be assigned a
finite repeatable value (again not specifying specific molecules).
This functionally defined threshold provides the reference value that
I argue is required for assessing the "significance" of information.
It is both a qualitative state difference (non-algorithmic in your
terms) and yet the product of a quantitative work differential.

This "assessment" is best exemplified by the second autogenic model
system; i.e. with the shell that loses integrity with increasing
numbers of bound catalytic substrates. The threshold value of its
transition from intact-inert to disaggregated-and-dynamically
reconstituting provides an assay of the environmental potential for
re-achieving stability and preserving this same potential to be
available for another work cycle. Different threshold values will
result in different amounts of work required for reconstitution and
different probabilities of persistence with respect to disruption. The
threshold that determines this change of state is thereby representing
a property of the environment that is of qualitative value with
respect to the perpetuation of this system's assessment capacity into
the future, irrespective of any outside interpretation. And since
differences in thresholds will provide better or worse fits between
work required and resources provided, there can be predictive value
differences of the information provided by this change of state.
Differences in its conveyance of information "predictive"  of the
nearby (though not just directly contiguous) environment's supportive
or non-supportive value.

OK. It's clearly too simple for modeling human knowledge, subjective
awareness, the "meaning" of this sentence, etc., but I think it's a
useful first step beyond Shannon.

— Terry