Hi All,

I have been following this thread with interest as much as time permits.  I
think multilevel approaches to understanding information flow is an important
one.  I also think the structure of natural systems exhibits both hierarchical
and heterarchical features.  The hierarchies we formally recognize can be
extremely useful, but they are rarely exclusive of alternatives.  Here is a
link to a paper Mark Tessera and I published a couple of years ago arguing for
one particular hierarchy of multilevel emergence in physical systems connecting
lower level physical systems to biological systems:

Tessara, M., and G. A. Hoelzer.  2013.  On the thermodynamics of multilevel
evolution.  Biosystems 113:  140–143.

Regards,

Guy

Guy Hoelzer, Associate Professor