Dear colleagues,

I don’t consider it as fruitful to recycle the argument that society were to be
modeled as a meta-biology. The biological explanation can perhaps explain
behavior of individuals and institutions; but social coordination more
generally involves also the dynamics of expectations. These are much more
abstract although conditioned by the historical layer. For example, one cannot
expect to explain the trias politica or the rule of law biologically. These
cultural constructs regulate our behavior from above, whereas the biological
supports existence and living from below. The historical follows the axis of
time, whereas the codification (albeit historical in the instantiations) also
restructures and potentially intervenes and reorganizes social relations from
the perspective of hindsight.

In analogy to codifications such as the juridical ones, scientific knowledge
provides the code for technological intervention. This type of knowledge is
human-specific; perhaps, we are also able to build machines that mimick it.
This technological evolution is going on for centuries. If I look up from my
screen, I look into the gardens which have a typical Dutch polder vegetation.
The polder was made in the 17th century and replaced the natural ecology of
marsh land and lakes. The order of the explanation was thus inverted: the
constructed structures (instead of the constructing agencies) increasingly
carry the system. The constructs don’t have to be material; see my example of
the rule of law. It is not a religion, but a dynamics of expectations.
Replacing it with a biology misses the point.

Best,

Loet

  _____

Loet Leydesdorff

Professor, University of Amsterdam
Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR)

 <mailto:l...@leydesdorff.net> l...@leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/
Honorary Professor,  <http://www.sussex.ac.uk/spru/> SPRU, University of
Sussex;