has previously imagined, except
those who use it regularly.

It can be strengthen by particular
mental practices, well described
in the literature of Yoga.

Digital Computing machines are
not capable of this, and although
number crunching is a way for
Technology to assist, it is no substitute
for the highest levels of the human mind.

Alex

On 13 March 2018 at 01:10, Mark Johnson <johnsonm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Alberto,
>
> Thank you for this topic – it cuts to the heart of why we think the
> study of information really matters, and most importantly, brings to
> the fore the thorny issue of technology.
>
> It has become commonplace to say that our digital computers have
> changed the world profoundly. Yet at a deep level it has left us very
> confused and disorientated, and we struggle to articulate exactly how
> the world has been transformed. Norbert Wiener once remarked in the
> wake of cybernetics, “We have changed the world. Now we have to change
> ourselves to survive in it”. Things haven’t got any easier in the
> intervening decades; quite the reverse.
>
> The principal manifestation of the effects of technology is confusion
> and ambiguity. In this context, it seems that the main human challenge
> to which the topic of information has the greatest bearing is not
> “information” per se, but decision. That, in a large part, depends of
> hypothesis and the judgement of the human intellect.
>
> The reaction to confusion and ambiguity is that some people and most
> institutions acquire misplaced confidence in making decisions about
> “the way forwards”, usually invoking some new tool or device as a
> solution to the problem of dealing with ambiguity (right now, it’s
> blockchain and big data). We - and particularly our institutions -
> remain allergic to uncertainty. To what extent is “data-ism” a
> reaction to the confusion produced by technology? Von Foerster sounded
> the alarm in the 1970s:
>
> “we have, hopefully only temporarily, relinquished our responsibility
> to ask for a technology that will solve existent problems. Instead we
> have allowed existent technology to create problems it can solve.” (in
> Von Foerster, H (1981) "Observing Systems")
>
> With every technical advance, there is an institutional reaction. The
> Catholic church reacted to printing; Universities reacted to the
> microscope and other empirical apparatus; political institutions
> reacted to the steam engine, and so on. Today it is the institution of
> science itself which reacts to the uncertainty it finds itself in. In
> each case, technology introduces new options for doing things, and the
> increased uncertainty of choice between an increased number of options
> means that an attenuative process must ensue as the institution seeks
> to preserve its identity. Technology in modern universities is a
> particularly powerful example: what a stupid use of technology to
> reproduce the ancient practices of the “classroom” online?! How
> ridiculous in an age of self-publishing that academic journals seek to
> use technology to maintain the “scarcity” (and cost) of their
> publications through paywalls? And what is it about machine learning
> and big data (I'm struggling with this in a project I'm doing at the
> moment - the machine learning thing is not all it's cracked up to be!)
>
> Judgement and decision are at the heart of this. Technologies do not
> [...]

Alex Hankey M.A. (Cantab.) PhD (M.I.T.)
Distinguished Professor of Yoga and Physical Science,
SVYASA, Eknath Bhavan, 19 Gavipuram Circle
Bangalore 560019, Karnataka, India
Mobile (Intn'l): +44 7710 534195
Mobile (India) +91 900 800 8789