Hi Alex,

Yes I agree about intuition. We should understand it better, and
that's best done with some kind of practice with it. For you it's
yoga; for me it's music. I suspect they're very closely related.  I
think it's dangerous, however, to disregard technology. Music is
highly technological: some of the earliest technologies we possess in
our museums are musical instruments. But they work to "tune the
intuition". This is what we need our computers to be (the word
"computer" is "com-putare" - "putare" is "to contemplate"). I suspect
the problem is the logic of the digital computer... music (and yoga?)
itself seems to work on the basis of some kind of analogue computation
(contemplation!).

Stafford Beer wrote this account of Ross Ashby's sudden decision to
join Von Foerster at the University of Illiinois. I found the
manuscript in Beer's archive in Liverpool. Beer was fascinated by
Ashby's decision. Ashby (who was quite a cold fish, by all accounts)
expressed his rationale for his decision...

"Late in 1960, a group of Heinz von Foerster’s friends were together
in the evening at Heinz’s home in Urbana, Illinois. A complicated
ballet ensued, the choreography of which I do not altogether remember.
At the precisely proper – the balletic -  moment, Heinz offered Ross a
Chair in BCL. He quietly accepted, without a moment’s pause, and asked
to telephone his wife back home in Bristol. It was the middle of the
night: thank goodness that the sun moves from East to West. Everyone
concerned was totally astonished – Mrs Ashby, I think I may say,
especially. And so he changed his life: for vitally important years
1961- - 1970, W Ross Ashby MD was Professor in the Department of
Biophysics and Electrical Engineering at the University of Illinois in
Urbana. It couldn’t have happened to a nicer psychiatrist.

We walked back alone together to the Faculty Club, where we had
adjacent rooms, across the campus under a full moon. We were strolling
quietly and relaxed. I told him that I was amazed at his instance
decisiveness. He asked me why. I talked about his scientific acumen,
his meticulous methodology, his exactitude: I had expected him to ask
for a year to consider, to evaluate the evidence for and against
emigration. Surely his response had been atypically irrational?

He stopped in his tracks and turned to me, and I shall never forget
his TEACHING me at that moment. No, he said calmly. Years of research
could not attain to certainty in a decision of this kind: the variety
of the options had been far too high. The most rational response would
be to notice that the brain is a self-organizing computer which might
be able to assimilate the variety, and deliver an output in the form
of a hunch. He had felt this hunch. He had rationally obeyed it. And
had there been no hunch, no sense of an heuristic process to pursue?
Ross shrugged: ‘then the most rational procedure would be to toss a
coin’."

Best wishes,

Mark