Good question.

It's going to be everyone's responsibility to stay on the same page,
but if you're leading the effort, you're also going to have to
initiate the kind of attention to details that you'll want replicated
on the team.

You'll probably spend a lot more time on technical design/architecture
than you might be used to, because it will be easier in some ways to
divy up the workload so that each developer (or each team of
developers) is working on a discrete set of functionality.  Early
documentation will be key, so when there are namespaces that are
shared by all parties, they're identified early.  The goal is that
integrating all this work should be as painless as possible.
Obviously, if you and your team are pretty handy with OOP, this is
easier to accomplish.

Version Control is a must!  It's bad enough when my PC hangs and I
lose an hour's worth of coding (because I was stupid and didn't save
every two minutes like the paranoid freak I am), but it's super bad
when I want to go back to a state of my Flash file from a week ago and
I can't because I didn't use any version control.  Changing file names
and doing a Save As isn't good enough.  Subversion is cheap (as in
free) and easy (as in you can learn the basics of doing it in a day).
If you got a couple hundred, I think you can pick up SourceSafe (which
works, albeit wonky from what I've heard, with Flash).  I've had
tremendous success with Rational ClearCase, though it's very
expensive.  If you're working with a team, there is absolutely no
excuse to not use some kind of version control software.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough.  Version Control pwns.

I'm big on commenting code (for use with ASDoc or a similar program)
and other forms of documentation (wiki, as an example) as a means of
communicating what we're doing on projects without getting too hung up
on formality.  I don't need everyone on my team to push information to
me -- I just need to know where they have information available so
that when I need it, I can get it without interrupting them.  That's
why I like wikis and project blogging, although I haven't worked on a
Flash project (in and of itself) that involved enough people to really
drive that need.

There's an excellent book out called "The Art of Project Management"
by Scott Berkun, and it's really a great primer for how to organize a
project so that a team of developers can do their tasks without being
micromanaged or (on the other side) getting left out in the cold.  For
personal task management, I also recommend David Allen's "Getting
Things Done."

This all might be too general for your question, but when I read your
question, it sounded like more of a "how do I manage a large project?"
kind of question.

-a-

On 4/5/06, Mark Lorah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This is a general question about workflow. For a long time I have
> been working on Flash projects independently. Over time everything
> has gotten bigger. Projects are now at a scale where I must
> collaborate with other Flash programmers. I am looking for
> suggestions about best practices for organizing and dividing up work
> on large Flash projects. What are problems and solutions that people
> have encountered when sharing work?

-a-

Aaron E. Silvers
[EMAIL PROTECTED]