Preamble: This is not gospel, this is not majority, this isn't anything by
my opinion :)

In the past, I've had mixed experiences with MM/Adobe's site for help.  Most
of the time, I honestly have to check for the last revision date to make
sure I'm not reading something that's 2 years old.  There have been times
that I've found the answer there, but the vast majority of answer come from
blogs these days.

What's cool about the blog entries is I can get to the author right away
with a comment or email and I usually have the benefit of other comments
which might not only clarify the blog's post, but actually offer another
reference.  That and I now have 5+ other people I can email about the post
and get help from them.

So, my initial reaction to "why don't I go to adobe first?" is that it seems
kinda narrow and not nearly as complete.  Often the searches just didn't
bring back what I was looking for.  And just to say it out loud - yes, I
continually try the adobe site JUST incase the answer is there.  I do,
however, go to live docs frequently just to see if other people have posted
comments on the subject I'm after.  After I've looked everywhere else, I go
to FlashCoders ;)

The theme here is the benefit of other people's reactions/comments to an
article are invaluable.

The funny thing that happens sometimes is that i get better search results
using google.com that include pages on marcomedia.com/livedocs rather than
the google search on the MM site.  I couldn't answer why, but maybe it's
just because I get my answer out there - who knows.  Maybe its the indexing
- no clue.

</ my2Cents>

On 4/10/06, John Dowdell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Stephen Ford wrote:
> > What happens if a user doesn't have javascript enabled in their browser
> for the recommended Macromedia solution (see link:
> http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/activecontent/articles/devletter.html) to
> this whole Active X debacle ?
>
> This is answered at the Adobe Active Content Center:
> "What about users who have JavaScript turned off?"
>
> http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/activecontent/articles/devletter.html#nojavascript
>
> (NOSCRIPT was originally for browsers which did not have any JavaScript
> interpreter, rather than for a browser whose owner disabled JavaScript,
> but what I've been seeing anecdotally the last few versions is that most
> browsers have switched over to reading NOSCRIPT when JS is turned off.
> It would be great if there were openwiki documentation of browser
> differences, however.)
>

> Related question: Do you see reasons why so much of this conversation
> about ActiveX changes in the Microsoft browser has avoided the source
> material on the Adobe site? Reporters are frequently getting the facts
> wrong ("ads won't play" etc), and on the lists there's sort of a
> goldrush to be handrolling other solutions. Any ideas I should consider
> here? Thanks.
>

> jd
>

> --
> John Dowdell . Adobe Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
> Weblog: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd
> Aggregator: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/mxna
> Technotes: http://www.macromedia.com/support/
> Spam killed my private email -- public record is best, thanks.

John Grden - Blitz