----- Original Message ----- From: "Merrill, Jason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Flash Coders List" <flashcoders@chattyfig.figleaf.com>
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2008 3:12 PM
Subject: RE: [Flashcoders] flash and 3d asset options

In practice I doubt that flash will be able to handle complex
models well
and that most developers will still get the best results from
faking 3D if
they can.

I dunno, I've seen some VERY impressive and complex and textured models
exported from apps like Maya to Papervision and they run great in Flash
Player 9 under the Papervision framework.  What kinds of complexity are
you referring to?  For a lot of the 3D stuff people want to do, I would
bet Papervsion could handle 80% of it or more.  Not to say Papervion is
easy to pick up and use out of the box, but it is powerful.  Have you
seen the Mini Cooper 3D car example where you can drive it with your
keyboard?

I've just gone looking for the demo and it does look good (I'm assuming you mean: http://www.carlosulloa.com/ ).

It's an example of a transformation of a small number of 3D objects (five, I think). When that count rises, I expect performance to drop. In the case of the original posters example of the climbing gladiator, each gladiator will probably need 14 or more linked shapes to articulate a Gladiator, so that's 28 shapes being manipulated, now we go on to the pyramid..

Anyway as complexity increses performance will drop and the difficullty of manipulating the objects increases. Contrast that against the fake 3D approach and the 2D version will be easier and more responsive.

Papervision 3D will always be better for applications that need 3D, particularly where the viewpoint changes. Fake3D works best where the viepoint is facing or above or we have an isometric view.

I'm not putting Papervision 3D down at all.

Paul

Jason Merrill
Bank of America
GT&O L&LD Solutions Design & Development
eTools & Multimedia

Bank of America Flash Platform Developer Community