Just as a quick alternate suggestion, you could hand the client an XML
editor rather than just a text editor. That way they won't be able to
forget to close a tag.

Internally, we use XML Notepad, which is free and supports XML schemas
(so can even syntax-check what your client is doing). It's by
Microsoft. It's probably the only Microsoft thing I'll ever recommend
to anyone.

Fairly obviously Windows only, sadly.

(I feel so dirty now. :-) )

Ian