You could always give them the "box" and tell them to install it themselves. My point is that there is always time involved. Setting up someone's website from scratch takes about a morning on a good day and longer on a nasty day, then there is the cost of the project admin time - meeting the client, quoting, and customer care. Hopefully all this adds up to a happy customer with a working, tested website - I would not want to give them anything less and the client is willing to pay for that and I don't think it's dishonest to charge them for a product + your time making sure it all works fine too. The alternative is as above - charge them the cost of the product, they have to set it up themselves, customer gets frustrated or realises they can do the job fine and assumes that all the other services you provide are just as easy to do themselves, so you potentially lose any future business from that customer.

I am not condoning handing off any old rubbish to the customer - I spend ages looking at different "products" to see what the best one for the job would be and I am honest about what the customer is getting - they are often paying the price for the product that I pay then for my services. If I give them a load of crap they are not going to come back either.

Think about going to a number of hotels.
1.  A bit shabby, cheap, well run with really nice staff.
2.  Expensive, looks the part, well run with really nice staff.
3.  Cheap, shabby and grumpy b*****ds running it...
4.  Expensive, looks the part and grumpy b*****ds running it...

So you got 2 cheap hotels and two expensive ones - which one do you use again? It depends on what your expectations were originally and maybe what your circumstances are again - some people want luxury, others want somewhere to kip, but either way, if you feel happy about your experience, you would be likely to go back. Whether the price of the breakfast at 2 is twice the price of 1, so what, I may have thought it was worth it.

With this industry, it boils down to customer service most of the time - that's what the people are paying for - your time and knowledge at getting them the best thing for their money. Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there who like to rip people off, but there are also a lot of awkward customers who want the bees knees for very little too. The aim is to keep the good customers, maybe be flexible and put yourself out for them, be honest yes, but there is nothing wrong with adding a cost to something you source from somewhere else - if you add value, your customers realise that most of the time and you will have a good relationship, but ripping off works both ways...

GLen