However, Flex DOES have animation and effects built into it too, and you can
animate with Actionscript in Flex, so it's really more a question of what
kind of project you are working on.

I must say first that I haven't used Flex a lot. But, even though you can
animate stuff with code (either in Flex or in Flash), one of the advantages
of Flash is that you can create and edit animations on a timeline, which is
a more natural setup for the kind of people that could generally make great
animations (designers, "artists", animators, etc); most animations done in
code, generally by coders, could be almost decent depending on your goal
and, yes, simple stuff is usually a one line no-brainer with a tweening
engine; but for complex, more interesting and "pro" animations, a good
animator with a timeline could do much better job and in less time, in my
opinion.

Cheers
Juan Pablo Califano