This is going to fade.. JavaFX will never be used for an online ad banner or some little blending effects on pictures. It has the same audience like Flex RIAs and due to this fact the expectations change. When you are forced to wait for 2MB of pictures just to see them blend on top of a page
mixed with the content you really have been after - that sucks.
But if you have an ebay RIA (for example) in which you can handle multiple auctions at the same time and modify your auction pictures in a photoshop like environment - hey this is just an example, I just mean more an application instead of a "dynamic webpage") you do want to wait for this additional amount of
time. It only depends on your expectations...

Anthony Pace schrieb:
If you still need to have downloaded the JRE in order to use javaFX, then it still has the same issue it always had... most people are impatient and can't stand waiting for such a large download to complete; especially, when they are using a 56k modem.

Latcho wrote:
I only said they had the tools for years (java) and the examples (cool nerd applets, processing) to make that shift earlier and to create the atmosphere and invitations to a "multimedia" minded crowd (how old is that word now). How come that for ex the videoplayer war was on real, ms and qt ? Where was java, where were the java api's, tutorials on video and codec support? Where were the tools and the starter kits. Some where in underground hackersland maybe. Thats what I imply. That's why Java always missed the boat, to get the wright buzz out on the wright time; It just always looked so java, and the dev's thought it was all good with thre new skin toolkit end the sun was shining. How much time does it take to get that nickel dropping ? And how much time will they need to catchup if we merge into a another cycle witch requires new tools and sets new expectations ? And for that reason I'm not encouraged to jump on their boat. They managed to release some-200X-thing and it was about time. Time for the nickel to fall.

Latcho

dr.ache wrote:
I did not say anything else. No one says that it's a direct opponent to
flash. but I am pretty sure that this is gonna steal the show for flex in the business line. When you have to build really huge applications enterprise developer are the first who can manage that - and now with the ability of a front-end extension to their OWN language and environment (which includes everything that is still lacking in flex and flash or is at most in the beginning of development like unit tests, dependencies visualisation, blablabla...) they do not need to switch to things like flex. they just need to learn that package
like some flash developers need to learn , whatever.. Tweenlite ;-)

Just to remember. I just say, there IS a good reason for them to further develop java fx

Ashim D'Silva schrieb:
As for Java, yes, it's the original, yes, it's a more powerful engine, but as far as front-end web work goes, both those don't matter too much, ease of
production, I think, trumps them. And with Flash 10 (CS4) artists and
developers have an incredible platform, with simple 3D, inverse kinematics with soft skinning, and a shit load more all ready to go. I don't see Java competing with that too easily. Java always seemed to have its own space,
which I knew nothing about; Fx is confusing me.

That said, I'd back open source if its got a chance.