From: flashcoders-boun...@chattyfig.figleaf.com
[mailto:flashcoders-boun...@chattyfig.figleaf.com] On Behalf Of Glen Pike
Sent: 22 April 2009 12:15
To: Flash Coders List
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] Feasibility of xml file for high score data
storage

I am guessing that any server side code to update the XML file will rely
on the server to "lock" files, etc.

Databases are often optimised to allow for multiple "clients" to update,
but most file based commands will lock the file preventing access by
other "clients" so if your code throws a wobbly rather than waiting,
that could be a problem...

Saying that, you could look at using SQLLite for example - this uses a
file based database, but your SQLLite "engine" will handle all of the
access - a lot of PHP installations come with this nowadays and ASP code
also uses ADOBC to connect to Access database files so you will have a
similar system.

The upshot is that using a server side database engine will make life
easier because they will deal with problems like concurrent connections
for you :)

Glen

Paul Steven wrote:
> I was considering using an xml file to store high score data for a game.
It