I know this is a few days old, but I have some input.

I have seen something similar to this with AS2. Using the WebServices class,
when you make a method call on a web service object, you create a pending
call object, and one of the properties of the pendingCall class was
doLazyDecoding. What this variable specified was whether the player should
convert the XML data to native Flash objects right away, or only when
needed.

I had multiple issues with trying to access information from the return of a
WebService call, and the only way to fix it was to set doLazyDecoding to
false.

Since WebServices send data as XML, it could be, that the same type of issue
is occuring here in AS3 with the new XML object. FP is probably doing
something in the background with the xml just loaded, and hasn't finished
yet when you don't put the trace in.

That's just my wacky theory.

Ktu