You bring up a lot of valid points, but you fail to focus on the main concern here, how to deal with the graphics being the most heavy part.

Please keep in mind that I am trying to focus on how to deal with animations that can't be simplified much. I am looking for a generic solution to the issue of the graphics taking too long to draw.

Reducing complexity is of course a good idea. And yeah, filters are expensive and provide little benefit most of the time.

But what can you do when you have exhausted your options to edit the content? You only got the quality setting left to use.

With that said, you bring up some important points about how much frameskip can be tolerated.

Also, thanks for reiterating my own points about how to capture performance statics.

That part is easy. But it is what to do with the gathered data that I worry about. How do you decide on the thresholds? Can you successfully predict when it is worth to change the quality?