further info, even though I suspect that I am the last one on earth using this
framework ………

//      init
var fmt:TextLayoutFormat = new TextLayoutFormat();
var tmpInt:ISelectionManager = field.textFlow.interactionManager;
var editManager:EditManager = new EditManager();
field.textFlow.interactionManager = editManager;
//      wrap up the format change in a composite operation
editManager.beginCompositeOperation();
var fmtSelectionState:SelectionState;
//      select the desired text and apply the new paragraph format
fmtSelectionState:SelectionState = new SelectionState(field.textFlow,
beginIndex_p, endIndex_p);
editManager.applyParagraphFormat(fmt, fmtSelectionState:SelectionState);
//      create the list
editManager.createList(null, fmt, fmtSelectionState:SelectionState);
editManager.endCompositeOperation();
//      restore the original interaction manager
field.textFlow.interactionManager = tmpInt;

See my intent ?
instead of
editManager.createList(null, fmt, fmtSelectionState:SelectionState);

I want to replace that line with:
editManager.removeList(null, fmt, fmtSelectionState:SelectionState);

would be amazing! (I am ready to kill any nested lists inside a list, so I am
not /that/ keen :) )

anyone's up for a ride in space with me ?