I think you are quite right that this is a problematic api. While I can't
address your specific question, I had tons of problems with TLF in the past. It
caused strange bugs that would break my movies(this was in CS5) At the time,
there were a lot of complaints on the forums with TLF with the solution simply
to not use it. You can google "problems with TLF text" to see a lot of the
issues and some of the clunky, heavy workaround solutions.
I noticed that Flash CC no longer supports TLF, which I found gratifying - as I
had lost tons of hours dealing with it, while on deadline no less.
So, good luck, as it sounds as if your application requires TLF!!! But if you
weren't too far committed, I thought this bit of history might help you in your
decision making to use the api at all.