Hi John,
Well, googling "twitter api for flash as3" yielded some good results for me.
There was this link that looks promising.
        https://blog.twitter.com/2006/twitter-api-flash-developers

Also found this package example.

http://www.untoldentertainment.com/blog/2009/04/02/tutorial-pull-twitter-updates-into-flash/

don't know if its what your wanting, but found it with google search terms:
pull twitter feeds with flash as3

There is this too.

http://www.fladev.com/featured/how-to-build-a-flash-actionscript-3-0-twitter-widget/

Hope one of these does the trick. Good luck!

Best,

Karl DeSaulniers
Design Drumm
http://designdrumm.com