I have been dealing with Macromedia/allaire since 1997. And I have
never once seen a price decrease. and in all of that time I want to
say the typical price increase has been about 100%. Or if not a
price increase a drop off in what you are getting.. 4 CPus now is
only 2. (CFMX) 2 Cpus is now only 1 (Flex).

I am trying to remember the first price I payed for Codl Fusion
Proffesisonal Server.. $199 or $349 I guess I could look it up
online at archive.org, but my point is, there is nothing you can buy
at that price now. and you can see the decline in monster postings,
and books on the topic that have matched the incline in price.

I told people that the price increase was what our sales rep was
telling us. we got our order in under the wire.

Along time ago they decided to go with the strategy of Fewer
customers paying higher bills. 200 new customers does not sound like
a lot, which is why you have to charge a lot. it certainly is not on
the install base of asp, .NET etc. Clearly they like FLEX becasue it
is new and they can charge twice what they charge for CFMX.

In 2 years it will be FLEX 40k, and you will have only a small base
of people to hire, and if you want a FLEX developer plan on building
a 6 month training process into the hire.
--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, Lucian Beebe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> To Matthew below, certainly this is not a joke. But where you have
been
> working on something great, lets talk. I'll contact you off line.
>
> On Laszlo, I am not going to start a whole Flex vs Laszlo
discussion here,
> but suffice it to say that there are a lot of benefits for Flash
Player 7
> *if* you take advantage of them. Simply compiling a Flash Player 5
> application for Flash Player 7 won't help a lot. There are values
in
> accessibility, remote object binary protocols, performance
optimizations,
> and dozens more, that all require lots of changes to leverage the
new
> capabilities in Flash Player 7. We have most certainly done those
all and
> many more in Flex 1.5.
>
> Finally, to the question of whether Flex is selling or not. The
economists
> on this list have it right. We are selling Flex in great numbers.
You may
> have seen that in December, we had over 200 customers. As a public
company
> in the US, we are not allowed to give you specific updates, but
suffice it
> to say that we are very excited about the success we are seeing
and that has
> just encouraged us to adjust pricing and commitment in line with
that
> success.
>
> Lucian

Player.  The
> > >people that are contributing to it make guesses and try to
extend the
> > >capabilities as far as they can, but they are still limited in
their
> > >knowledge.  I have never seen an API to the Flash player made
readily
> > >available to the public.  Also - as the Flash Player gets more
> complicated
> > >it will become more difficult to code hooks into the player to
give
> > >developers the same functionality that is provided by Flex, and
Breeze,
> and
> > >Flash, ........
> > >

> > As a Flash developer, I'd like to chime in here..
> >
> > The fact that Lazslo works on Flash Player 5 really isn't an
issue.  In
> > fact, I'd say it's a bonus!  Here's why:
> >
> > * Because Lazslo outputs to Flash Player 5, it has a larget
target
> > audience.  See the penetration stats:

http://www.macromedia.com/software/player_census/flashplayer/version_
penetra
> tion.html
> > -- FP 5 is 97%.  FP7 is 82% - so apps created in Laszlo have a
better
> > chance of being viewed
> >
> > * There are no "older is slower" arguments.  The v7 player will
play a
> > v5 swf faster than the v5 player, because the v7 player itself
is faster
> > than the v5 player.
> >
> > * The internals are abstracted away.  Right now your Lazslo code
> > publishes to .swf, but it's not tied to the Flash Player in any
way -
> > there are no MovieClip references, etc in your lazslo code.  In
fact,
> > you don't even use ActionScript, you write in JavaScript.
There's
> > nothing to stop someone from writing a new "player" and with a
few
> > tweaks to the Laszlo compilation process you could have output
for that
> > new player.
> >
> > When you develop an application, do you really care about the
internal
> > API calls of Flash Player 7?  If I'm a Lazslo developer, I say
no.. I
> > know what tags I can use in my markup, I know what the APIs are,
and I
> > use them and get a *working* .swf file.  As long as it works,
that's all
> > I care about.  If SWF5 is all it takes to make it work, then
that's cool.

> > Is there anything in v7 SWF that would benefit Lazslo apps?  Not
> > really.  Some of the new things added in FP 7 over FP 6 is case
> > sensitivty, depth management functions (getNextHighestDepth..) ,
context
> > menu, etc,.  The biggest change would probably be embedded
video, and
> > that may be a show stopper for some.. but it's rare that an
> > "application" needs video in it.  FP 6 adds some things over FP5
like
> > ShardObjects, so I can see how upgrading to v6 in that respect
would be
> > benefitical.  FP 6 also added different event handlers than FP5
> > (.onPress, vs on (press)) - but that has 0 effect on how I code
my
> > Lazslo markup.  The FP6 style event handlers are meant to make
AS coding
> > easier, but Lazslo doesn't care about that because it has it's
own
> > coding model.
> >
> > The fact that Lazslo accomplishes what it does on an old version
of the
> > SWF format is not a drawback, it's a benefit.  There's really no
reason
> > to use SWF7 if everything you need to do can be accomplished in
SWF5.