Craig,

On page 576 of the book, the RemoteObject service is defined as an unnamed service (using the source="") tag,
which I will presume to be what you have in yoru code.

You have placed the service in your whitelist (double-check, I presume this is under the remote-objects node) as
both an unnamed and named service, so you probably expect either named/unnamed services to both work.

However, in your named service block you have <allow-unnamed-access>false</allow-unnamed-access>

This means that even though you are (I imagine, unless you have changed the code from p 576) accessing
the RemoteObject as an unnamed service, your flex-config is prohibiting that for this very service.

Make sense ?

If this isn't your issue, then perhaps you could post the error message you are receiving ... in
gateway-config.xml you can turn on a little more debugging of events over the wire as well.  Your
original email suggested that "...the book doesn't seem to explain or give examples for the whitelist..."
which is why I pointed you in my last response to the appropriate sections in the book where the
whitelist is explained, and examples given.  The more specific you can specify the problem you
are having, and the error messages you are receiving, the more specific our responses can be.

I hope that the above helps you find the source of your problem.

Kindest Regards,

Steven