Anything goes really, I return numbers, string, bools, arrays, objects and
combinations of all the above depending on what is needed. In the use cases
we are using this data service for:

Directory
Articles
Ecommerce
Personalization

The requests and responses are all different but we want a common way to
develop them to completion. We would like a productive language like CF but
it has to work in all cases.

The fallback here is to just use Apache Axis with Java classes on the server
side although I would prefer something simple and easy to change like CFC's.

Cheers,

Ted ;)