I like you're opinion.

Except the part about IBM and Microsoft developing similarly.

I'm not a Microsoft lover, but I used to be, long story. But since I've recovered from the Ballmer dance most seen on YouTube, I kind of like them now. I've done 4 ASP.Net projects, and 2 very large VB.Net projects. My problem with MS in the 90's was them taking applications written by the ISVs that made them popular, and including them one by one as time went on, in the OS itself. The worst of this came in the SUN v Microsoft debate. To actually see in discovery that they hacked Java so it would perform poorly. Hopefully most of those people are gone by now, and I hope, though will never know, that Gates now having a family has changed his outlook on how he treats young grads. coming out of college to start small businesses or freelance.

With Adobe and Scene7.com, do to their great Imaging applications and history with users using applications like Lightroom, is see a very real close together magnet here (as an analogy IBM, Microsoft and others do highly sophisticated contracts that only they could do and as far as a gauge for us being in the middle of 2 attracting magnets; one being IBM for example and the other being the company we'd like to serve; the magnets are far apart). But with Adobe those magnets are very close together, and I see a very user friendly E-Commerce system that almost directly mirrors the Adobe "Hybrid" Store, or the Full Store, only even better, and incorporating possibly Edge and Grid computing, as well as what Scene7 really was, as that is the way they can color images.

So Adobe is on the road to producing an extremely easy to use eCommerce application for the masses, and we will be left with applications in other areas. But as time goes by, this will narrow more and more. I've been in the business since 1988 when IBM chose me over 8 other graduate applicants (and I was the only other undergrad applicant) for a Windows project for an ATM Performance Analyzer with the EE Dept. I was chosen because I showed up for the Interview with the application 50% done.

So I went into Windows and I have to be careful about my story, but there is a public article not of my doing here at FedCir "Federal Circuit" / only I had to bow out because since I first met with them in August of 2001 the following day I had a seizure and I've had a seizure condition every since. Life is no longer a long and winding yellow brook road for me, I'm doing things in music that help Epilepsy, my SWF and CoreAudio, etc. development for the future will be my future as I'm on Medicaid now. However, I did eventually get a great eCommerce platform done, and it will last probably a year or so and I'll get a client when I can (my income is capped anyway) and it will be worth little after Scene7 is out for a few years.

So I have a very large perspective on this, and "it isn't looking pretty".

If you research my past posts, you'll find extreme excitement by me about AIR, asking Adobe to find a way to integrate OpenGL before Silverlight leveraged DirectX against it.

Now I feel differently. The CEO resigned last Fall, and whoever is in charge now has a different plan that effects us developers.

Scene7 attorneys, as far as I know, are "Thompson Reuters" in NYC and Mary A. Fracis is the executing attorney on some of their issues, and I've called her as well as people at Scene7 twice to get more clear on the issues.

The 2nd call to Scene7 made very very clear that they do intend to do exactly what I felt they would, only they call it "eCataloging" which is a pre-cursor to doing anything eCommerce with the special imaging that Scene7 does on, for example, changing the color of a sweater. The difference is, Adobe is not bringing this to us as far as I was told, they are, and I asked directly, "So is it possible that Adobe could bid against another company using FLEX to do a contract for a company?" (I used a shoe company earlier because Nike is one of their many, many clients).

I'm not worried about bidding on Fortune 500, I'm worried about the more and more often complaint of users who know more and more about what's going on saying, No, I just bought Scene7 LE, for example, and it makes it so easy. I don't need any custom development.

This single step that Adobe has taken has totally blurred the line that would have never been blurred at Macromedia, Adobe is now both a Premiere Imaging Firm, and a Firm using the very programming tools it sells, not to integrate into a big operating system, but to Bid on contracts using it, even against their own developer community, and in the long run, AIR is virtually a "lightweight operating system" of global proportions.

My thinking is that the new CEO of Adobe has lust in his eyes, but I don't know that for a fact because I've never seen him.

All I know is, in my opinion, we we're all better off, at this step taken now, with Macromedia. I've been developing in Flash since FutureWave came out with FutureSplash; it's how I got the first WRIF radio contract here in Detroit which got our company $2M in advertising equity (not me, the consulting company I was working for), and it's what got me many side jobs do to my name getting around that I develop fast and good. That's no longer the case. I have a seizure dis-order and only God knows how they came to be.

That's my 50-cent (no, not a fan :) but as a funny fact back in the 80's I'd run a route that directly crossed Eminem's house (it was an 8 mile route I ran during HS, College Summers, etc. until the place became overloaded with homes.

-r