Hi,

For me, Windows is not even remotely comparable to OS X for a software
development machine.
These are some very useful tools for software development that come with
OS X. Straight out of the box.

crab:~ shaun$ which python
/usr/bin/python
crab:~ shaun$ which ruby
/usr/bin/ruby
crab:~ shaun$ which perl
/usr/bin/perl
crab:~ shaun$ which apachectl
/usr/sbin/apachectl
crab:~ shaun$ which at
/usr/bin/at
crab:~ shaun$ which emacs
/usr/bin/emacs
crab:~ shaun$ which vi
/usr/bin/vi
crab:~ shaun$ which java
/usr/bin/java
crab:bin shaun$ which diff
/usr/bin/diff
crab:share shaun$ which patch
/usr/bin/patch
crab:bin shaun$ which svn
/usr/bin/svn
crab:bin shaun$ which head
/usr/bin/head
crab:bin shaun$ which tail
/usr/bin/tail
crab:bin shaun$ which grep
/usr/bin/grep
crab:bin shaun$ which find
/usr/bin/find
crab:bin shaun$ which awk
/usr/bin/awk
crab:bin shaun$ which sed
/usr/bin/sed
crab:bin shaun$ which bash
/bin/bash
crab:bin shaun$ which zip
/usr/bin/zip
crab:bin shaun$ which tar
/usr/bin/tar
crab:bin shaun$ which ssh
/usr/bin/ssh
crab:bin shaun$ which scp
/usr/bin/scp
crab:share shaun$ which curl
/usr/bin/curl
crab:share shaun$ which ftp
/usr/bin/ftp

Then there's the free(as in beer) Apple Developer Tools, which you need
to install, but include: XCode and all the other good stuff it brings,
including WebObjects, IPhone SDK, general Cocoa SDK tools, various
profilers etc etc. the list just goes on an on..
In my experience IDEs like Eclipse, Flex Builder, Netbeans etc etc work
fine on OS X.

Basically, OS X is a /great/ developer platform.

cheers,
  - shaun