Flex apps have the advantage of being a static binary and therefore
can easily be served from a CDN if you are talking high-traffic apps.
So I agree that the issue of scale is less about Flex and more about
the back end.

But if you just need an example to show your boss, take a look at
elfyourself.com. It's 100% Flex and although I can't give numbers,
definitely draws the volume of traffic you referred to.

Jamie