Basically every webcontainer these days supports GZIP compression.  We
use Tomcat in many circumstances which is hyper configurable.  We can
actually tell it to only compress the SOAP traffic and to do so when
it exceeds N bytes etc.  So in effect we turn SOAP into a compressed
binary format. That makes that differential much less relevant.

--
Dave Wolf
Cynergy Systems, Inc.

Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Office: 866-CYNERGY

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm sure someone already pointed this out, but network latency is also a
> factor.  AMF is a compressed format, so it can load faster and in
that sense
> make your app more responsive.  With XML web services, the tags
themselves
> add a degree of overhead.  There are schemes for compressing web
services
> which can help.

PHP