Flex does not talk to a database directly (except with AIR but I gather
you're talking about a web app).  Flex talks to a back end which then can
talk to a database.  Flex works really well with pretty much any back end,
so if you're familiar with .NET stick to that, no reason to go to FDS/LCDS
or anything else.

The best way to communicate between Flex and .NET is through AMF Remoting.
With that you can call .NET methods directly and the middle-ware libraries
take care of the details for you.  We use an open-source library called
Fluorine but there is also a commercial library called WebOrb available.

http://fluorine.thesilentgroup.com/fluorine/index.html

You definitely want to start with Flex Builder 3.  No reason to use Flex
Builder 2, the IDE is very stable.  You can choose to target either the Flex
2 or Flex 3 SDK's and that choice depends on your release date.  If you're
releasing before about March 2008 then you may want to stick with the Flex 2
SDK.  If later, then use Flex 3 SDK.  An exact date has not been announced
for Flex 3 release, but they've said Q1 2008.

I would suggest ignoring Cairngorm for now--start out learning to develop
flex apps and just use your pre-existing knowledge to partition out your
apps well so you don't have an ugly mess of spaghetti code.  After you're
more familiar with Flex you can decide if Cairngorm or any framework is
right for you and your apps.

HTH,

Sam

We're Hiring! Seeking a passionate developer to join our team building Flex
based products. Position is in the Washington D.C. metro area. If interested
contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]