I don't have any small examples I could post here but if you want to
dive into using MVC on Flex, check out the Cairngorm framework.  It
provides you some useful classes to extend and implement regarding the
structuring of the varous MVC components.

ModelLocator is a simple singleton class with getter/setter properties
and I like to extend eventDispatcher.  Some folks like to make it a
bindable class, however I try to avoid that as it has some overhead
involved.  It looks something like this:

package {

public class ModelLocator extends EventDispatcher
{

   private static var _instance:ModelLocator;

   public static function getInstance ():ModelLocator
   {
      if (!_instance)
         _instance = new ModelLocator();

      return _instance;
   }

   function ModelLocator (){}; //have this be an internal function so
you don't have a publicly exposed constructor.