Much of the remaining overhead comes from the Flex SDK itself; but
Flex 3 has a very nice new feature to help with that: "Persistent
framework caching."  See
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/flex3_whatsnew.html , the
second paragraph of the section titled "Platform evolution," for a
description of the feature.

Using this feature in your code is pretty easy; just requires some
changes to the project's properties.  See
http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Flex_3:Feature_Introductions#Persistent_Framework_Caching_.28also_known_as_framework_RSLs_or_cross-domain_RSLs.2C_Updated_for_Beta_2.29
, the section on "persistent framework caching," for a video and a
writeup.

- Mike Morearty, Adobe Flex Builder team