Hey Brian...

Many thanks for putting your digital mode thoughts on the reflector. I was particularly struck by your comment on PSK...I've been working PSK only for about 6 months now, and was first drawn to it by the "green" (i.e. low bandwidth, low power) aspects of the mode, but as I have worked I have been watching that phase scope in the corner and realizing just how poor this mode is for DX work...the multipath and other scattering defects spread out the phase information pretty badly (as you say, "it gets chewed up in the ionosphere). I have never seen anyone else talk about this problem, tho it is evident enough on long paths. It is worth mentioning.

Perhaps you can help me identify a mode that I see frequently, usually just at the upper end of the PSK region, on 20 meters. It looks on the waterfall like a stream of small rectangular confetti in a band perhaps 100 Hz wide, with blocks being distributed at random across this bandwidth fairly densely. It is definitely not a RTTY signal with two tones, and if one is to guess at the number of tones I would say perhaps 8 or 10 within the 100 Hz "channel" being used. I would send a screen shot, except there is not anything on at the moment. Again trying to be descriptive, I imagine this as a stream of punchings from IBM cards, all aligned with long dimension along the flow of the waterfall...it is intriguing to watch but I have never been able to decode it to identify it. I don't believe it is a DSSTV signal. It is clearly a fairly slow mode wrt data rate.

It would be very useful to the novice digital-mode operator to have screen snaps of several modes as they appear on the waterfall. I think that NU8I might be happier with these snaps than with aural samples, since the waterfall is a very nice time+frequency discriminator. Just a thought. BTW I use my F3K almost 100% on digital, the remainder being on CW...

John Ragle -- W1ZI
[email protected]

_______________________________________________
FlexRadio Systems Mailing List
[email protected]
http://mail.flex-radio.biz/mailman/listinfo/flexradio_flex-radio.biz
Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/flexradio%40flex-radio.biz/
Knowledge Base: http://kc.flex-radio.com/  Homepage: http://www.flex-radio.com/
Message delivered to [email protected]

Reply via email to