Steve,
You have no idea how important I feel it is to establish a library of
these waterfall shots. I am in the midst of trying to determine the
source of some noise that has virtually stopped all my communication
activity and I am finding some of the most interesting images appear on
the monitor but have no idea what they mean! If there is a
photographer/ham out there I strongly encourage him to "write a book."
I will be the first purchaser!
73
Lee K9WRU
Quoting Steve Conklin <[email protected]>:
On 08/25/2009 05:24 AM, John Ragle wrote:
> Hey Brian...
[snip]
> It would be very useful to the novice digital-mode operator to have
> screen snaps of several modes as they appear on the waterfall. I think
> that NU8I might be happier with these snaps than with aural samples,
> since the waterfall is a very nice time+frequency discriminator. Just a
> thought. BTW I use my F3K almost 100% on digital, the remainder being on
> CW...
>
> John Ragle -- W1ZI
> [email protected]
http://www.w1hkj.com/ is the home of Dave Freese W1HKJ and the fldigi
application.
Dave has this page:
http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp/Modes/index.htm
which is a very helpful guide with waterfall images and sound samples from
a lot of different modes. Dave is very knowledgeable about the strengths
and weaknesses of each mode. He hangs out on the linuxham yahoo group.
Fldigi runs on Linux, Mac, and Windows, and I know there are people using it
with Flex radios (I don't own one yet).
You were probably seeing MFSK, which was designed with very robust Forward
Error Correction (FEC) for DX work, and performs much better than PSK under
marginal conditions. I have been able to decode MFSK 100% when I
could neither
hear the signal in the noise or see it on the waterfall.
Steve AI4QR
_______________________________________________
FlexRadio Systems Mailing List
[email protected]
http://mail.flex-radio.biz/mailman/listinfo/flexradio_flex-radio.biz
Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/flexradio%40flex-radio.biz/
Knowledge Base: http://kc.flex-radio.com/ Homepage:
http://www.flex-radio.com/
Message delivered to [email protected]
_______________________________________________
FlexRadio Systems Mailing List
[email protected]
http://mail.flex-radio.biz/mailman/listinfo/flexradio_flex-radio.biz
Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/flexradio%40flex-radio.biz/
Knowledge Base: http://kc.flex-radio.com/ Homepage: http://www.flex-radio.com/
Message delivered to [email protected]