On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 11:54 AM, <[email protected]> wrote:

> As I understand it, comparing the 3000 to the 5000, the 3000 has better
> receive sensitivity on 6 meters which is important to me. Some of us
> flex-a-holics contend that they may have tried to cram too many modules
> into the small 5000 box. I am sure that there are those who will argue
> this point.


No argument from me. I have long held that the 3000 is the best radio Flex
has produced.

I have owned a 3000 and a 1500.  I would like to see multiple SO-239 RF
> outputs on the 3000,


I never understood the desire for SO239. The SO239 and PL259 are horrible
connectors. BNC and 'N' are WAAAY better. In fact, I convert my radios from
SO239 to BNC where it is possible and then use BNC interconnects everywhere
in the shack. I sure wish people would explain the popularity of the UHF
series because I find them to be a pain in the butt.


> but other than that, it's the most bang for the buck out there IMHO.


I agree.


> It could be a mistake to discontinue the 3000.


I can't see Flex doing that. The 3000 is still their bread-and-butter
radio. It works very well. It is an outstanding portable rig. It is built
like a brick ... house.


> I understand the marketing behind deleting the
> 5000 from the line.  I wonder what that will do to the used secondary
> 5000 market?  We shall soon see!
>

The price of used 5000s is going to go down. It has been on a steady
decline as the 6000 series got closer. I suspect that there were enough
5000s on the market at depressed prices to kill all new sales of 5000s at
Flex. I suspect that is why the 5000 has now been discontinued.

With reference to the Apache, with all due respect:  "Be American....buy
> American!"  Tentec, Elecraft, Flex are the big 3 to me.
>

Receiver performance on the ANAN-10 and ANAN-100 is substantially better
than the currently-available Flex radios. Maybe not as good as the 6000
series but probably pretty darned close. I know that *I* intend to get what
works best regardless of whether it is made in the US. Want the US
manufacturers to prosper? They need to be competitive. If they are not
competitive then the question is why?

Personally I like that there is competition. I believe in a free market
economy as it favors the consumer (that's me in this case). Also the
proliferation of very high performance DDC radios is going to get the
attention of the big boys, meaning even better options for me. So,
personally, I welcome the presence of the ANAN radios from Apache Labs.

-- 
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
706 Flightline Drive
Spring Branch, TX 78070
[email protected]
+1.916.877.5067 (USA)
_______________________________________________
FlexRadio Systems Mailing List
[email protected]
http://mail.flex-radio.biz/mailman/listinfo/flexradio_flex-radio.biz
Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/flexradio%40flex-radio.biz/
Knowledge Base: http://kc.flexradio.com/  Homepage: http://www.flexradio.com/

Reply via email to