That's it! Keep them separate. Just add what is missing. The user then
downloads these two parts and gets a nice airplane. The source package
needs only couble of planes .. as a demo. Rest could be downloaded from
several sites that support MSFS files. FGFS would only add the physics
file.

It is not illegal to support some format! That just would be the same
as MS is using (by pure luck!). There are for example Autocad dwg
files. They are supported by several CAD programs! But originally
"owned" by autodesk.

That would make it much easier to simulator users to make and swap
their planes.

JOJ