Erik Hofman wrote:

> Curtis L. Olson wrote:
>
> > Martin Spott writes:
> >
> >>To explain what Erik's talking about: You don't get an appropriate video
> >>card that you can use in an SGI for just $50. 2x 4 MByte Texture RAM to
> >>upgrade an Octane SSI to MXI cost more than $1000 - and you can't use
> >>FlightGear's textured scenerey without TRAM ....
> >>

> > Well in that case you are probably then better off just taking that
> > $1000 and buying a modern PC which for most applications will probably
> > beat the socks off the Octane anyways.
> >
> > In my last job we ran a simulator using an old SGI Onyx.  We could buy
> > 3 very high end PC's every year for what we paid in yearly hardware
> > support contract costs.  And each of those 3 PC's individually would
> > beat the socks off the onyx.
> >
> > I like sgi, I wish they were doing better as a company.  But,
> > unfortunately I just don't see a lot of advantage in buying their
> > hardware these days, and there are very few applications these days
> > that run on sgi only.  There are still a few uses where sgi makes the
> > most sense, but these are getting fewer and fewer.
>
> So you're basically saying I am wasting my time ...
> I doubt that the 40 people downloading FlightGear 0.7.7 each month could
> be conviced to use crappy PC hardware just because it's cheap. I realy
> don't like that attitude and prefer to leave the hardware choice to
> everyone who wishes to chose.
>
> Ergo, we should stick with support for old hardware or remove the line
> "multi platfrom" and state the change on the website.
>
> Then at least *I* would know what to do.

Well, the modern SGIs shouldn't have trouble running a recent version of
FGFS. So we run on a SGI.

You don't expect a software rendering 386 to give decent frame rates, do
you?

But we could offer a minimum recomended SGI configuration.

CU,
Christian

PS: Is there a way to install FGFS (+SimGear + PLIB + GLUT) on a Indy
w/o root privileges? I'd like to try it at the university.

--
The idea is to die young as late as possible.        -- Ashley Montague

Whoever that is/was; (c) by Douglas Adams would have been better...