Erik,

I want to clarify that I wasn't trying to speak ill of sgi or those
who use sgi computers.  I was just responding to Martin Spott's
suggestion that it would cost $1000 to turn an Octane SSI into
something that could reasonably run FlightGear.  And then pointing out
that for that $1000 you could buy an entire PC which would run
FlightGear splendidly.

SGI has it's place in the world, they do some things very well, but
also at a very high price.  I hope FlightGear can continue to support
their platform.

Back a couple years ago I got a very early version of FlightGear
running on SGI.  My department had tons of sgi's all over the place so
it seemed like a great idea since sgi *is* *the* 3d graphics company
(or at least was back then.)

I was shocked then to find out that there was only one sgi machine in
the entire building (out of about 30) capable of running flightgear
decently.  This was a $250,000 Onyx which was not for "playing games."
The rest of the sgi's around here either had no graphics hardware
acceleration at all (i.e. Indies) or had some minimal 3d acceleration
but didn't support basic things like texturing.  After that, I
personally stopped investing time on the sgi port because as I
unfortunately discovered, I didn't have convenient access to any sgi
machines that could run it.

These days you can get a Voodoo2 (with two texture engines) for $10 on
ebay.  I certainly hope sgi isn't *still* selling machines without
hardware texturing support.

Any, my real point here is that I personally do not care to work very
hard to support a non-textured flightgear mode simply for the sake of
old sgi hardware.  However, if there are other reasons as well
... supporting notebook (few of which have 3d graphics), or to still
support cards with very little texture ram ... then I have no problem
with continuing on with our support of a non-textured world mode.

However, with respect to the current bug in coloring, someone else is
going to have to volunteer to look into the problem.

Regards,

Curt.