Here's my observations from testing the latest cvs
flightgear/simgear/base:

The fixed turn co-ordinater in JSBSim is great, unfortunately it
doesn't work (freezes) after a reset.  Its quite literally 'fixed' then ;-)

The output from SG_INFO to the console (Event states, mouse in
view/pointer mode, lighting updates and tile updates) can cause
nasty pauses on Windows 98 even with the console window
minimised, far worse than on NT on the same hardware.  May I
suggest that we turn off all the console output during flight by
default and let users turn it on if they wish.

I get flashing polygons in the sky when on or near the ground.
Pushing the near clip plane out a touch fixes this.  In main.cxx at
line 679 changing:

        if ( agl > 10.0 ) {
            ssgSetNearFar( 10.0f, 120000.0f );
        } else {
            ssgSetNearFar( 0.5f, 120000.0f );
        }

        if ( agl > 10.0 ) {
            ssgSetNearFar( 10.0f, 120000.0f );
        } else {
            ssgSetNearFar( 1.3f, 120000.0f );
        }

seems to do the trick, and viewing straight down still doesn't clip
the runway.  Any objections to putting this in?

JSBSim seems over sensitive to rudder during the takeoff run,
making it *very* hard to maintain direction during takeoff.  It seems
very keen to get into the air at the moment as well.  IANAP though
so maybe I've just been softened up by too many over-easy
simulator models over the years.

The aileron starts up at full left deflection on all flight models.
Whilst this might be how real ones are left, and whilst we all ought
to preflight, a lot of people are going to wonder why the plane
suddenly goes all over the place on the runway.

YASim initialised at about 40 knots charging down the runway,
with the engines running and the magnetos off.  Due to the
aformentioned full left aileron I didn't get very far.

The JSBSim engine starts before the cranking sound starts playing.

The LaRCsim engine cranks and cranks and cranks and ... oh
dear, seems to need an overhaul, it won't start.

LaRCsim reports running values of EGT whilst cranking and not
starting.

I guess I'd better look at the above 3 points!!

Overall, though, its looking great, and obviously reflects a lot of
hard work that a lot of people have put in.  Its really come on a hell
of a lot since 0.58, which was the first version I ever ran.  Highlights
for me are the fantastic wet compass, which behaves in turns
exactly as described in a flight training book I had out of the library,
the fantastic artificial horizon, which is beautifully fluid in turns, and
the jointing cracks down the centerline of the concrete runways.
The whole thing is really looking good though :-)

Cheers - Dave