> > > Is this built --with-logging or --without-logging?
> >
> > Dunno.  It was the pre2 prebuilt binary from the Nottingham server ...
>
> It was built without logging:
>
> CFLAGS="-Wall -O2" CXXFLAGS="-Wall -O2" ./configure --without-
> logging

> I have noticed that some cards get hit very hard at the larger
> airports (ie KSFO), dropping to low single figures when looking at
> the airport, but they are generally 8MB cards.

Yeah, as I tried to imply, I don't think it's the build.  If we're making
decisions on which textures to use by asking the GL what size it supports,
I should point out that many versions state a size that is twice as big
as the hardware supports.  In that case, the driver makes four passes
through the relevant triangles to pick up all four quadrants of the big
textures, leading to a massive hit on framerate.

Can we have a command line / preferences option to specify whether
to use the hires textures as-is or to forcibly ignore the directory?
On several of my (linux) machines, I've got a patch in there for that.