--- "Curtis L. Olson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> David Megginson writes:
> > Interesting -- I won't promise to integrate this
> into the 3D models
> > this week, but it should show up eventually.
> >
> > How far should this go?  For variable-pitch props,
> we could something
> > like
> >
> >   /engines/engine[n]/prop-pitch-norm
> >
> > and you could see where the governor is keeping
> the blades and whether
> > they're feathered.  That wouldn't be hard to do
> from JSBSim (which
> > actually knows the pitch angle), but it might be
> trickier from YASim.
> >
> > I'm worried about how far this will all lead,
> though.
>
> David,
>
> I think the gear compression is actually an
> important one because it
> should prevent the wheels from going partially
> underground, or
> floating above the surface as the plane taxis,
> brakes, turns, etc.
> These are quite obvious visual anamolies.  If you
> look at it from the
> perspective of 'depth cues' and trying to make the
> plane appear as if
> it is on the runway, having the gear float or go
> under ground gives
> the brain conflicting information about where the
> aircraft actually is
> relative to the ground.  In the absence of other
> natural depth cues
> (such as shadows) the brain is likely to make the
> wrong conclusion.
> If we do try to add shadows, it will be important
> for the gear to be
> rooted on the ground, otherwise the shadows will not
> match the
> aircraft.

I agree but keep in mind this will only get us so far
as long as the gear models don't have some idea of the
terrain height below each wheel.  On a slope, the
uphill wheel(s) will still appear to be underground
and the downhill above it.

Was anyone able to devise a way to get this
information in a non-frame-rate killing way? IIRC,
that was the big issue.