John Wojnaroski wrote:
 > For both YASim and JSBSim the flaps seem inop. Gear, flight surfaces,
 > engines are okay. Except it looks like the YASim 747 needs a nose gear
 >
 > Key board "]" and "[" activate audio flap sound  and panel movement of flap
 > switch, just nothing from properties
 >
 > Here is code snip from XML file for 747
 > [...]
 > <control-output control="FLAP0" prop="/surface-positions/flap-pos-norm"/>
 > [...]

I can't reproduce this.  Inserting that very line into my 747.xml
results in correct behavior.  Fire up the sim, look at the property
picker for the flap position; it should be zero.  Click a few flap
ticks, and look at the property again.  It will be slowly increasing
towards whatever you selected.

Oh, never mind, it's just a typo.  Note spelling of the property
above, and here:

 > [...]
 > data->flaps = fgGetDouble("/surface-positions/flaps-pos-norm");
 > [...]

Snip the stray "s", and you should see correct behavior.  This, it
must be admitted, is the biggest disadvantage of a dynamically bound
interface like properties.  Typos get detected only at runtime, and
even then only with some difficulty.  Some of David's work with
property tracing can be really helpful here, as can the property
picker (a very good thing -- make it your friend).

 > Is there any documentation outlining how the properties work, setting
 > them up, and various options available for their
 > implementation.

None to speak of.  These particular properties were decided on just
last week, though, so the discussions about them should be fresh in
the mailing list archives.

 > Trying to decipher it can be confusing.  Kept wondering why the the
 > JSBsim and YAsim xml files were different. Is this the reason?

One of many.  JSBSim and YASim are very different simulators, which
accept very different kinds of data to describe the aircraft they
simulate.

 > Does that also mean that the source to retrieve the data from JSBsim
 > and YAsim will be different if the properties for the "same" value
 > are created differently?

No.  The property system doesn't remember where values come from.  The
client code is identical in all situations.

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA