Curtis L. Olson writes:

 > One thing we'd need to think about before we got too far down this
 > path is the texture RAM requirements of such a scheme.

They should be minimal.  For the first tier of imposter tiles, we're
using textures that we already have, and just replacing the tile with
a single quad (or two triangles) that use the most common texture.
For the second tier, we're not using textures at all.  It should work.

 > We would need to do something like put 'long enough' skirts around all
 > the tiles (including the ones with terrain mesh) to hide the gaps.

By skirts do you mean something like these?

  http://java.sun.com/products/jfc/tsc/articles/jcanyon/#SECTION3.1.2

All the best,

David

--