Norman writes:
> Andy Ross writes:
> > Uh oh, we're going in circles again.  Last words, I promise. :)
> I do not have a linux box to play with but I am almost willing
> to bet that a full screen undecorated window would have a
> somewhat similar speedup under X compared to drawing in
> a 'X' decorated window, if  that would keep the gfx card in gl
> accelerated mode

I'll be happy to take the bet, because I know you'll lose (grin),
so I recommend you don't put much money on it.  Yes, altruism.

Unlike Windows, most X WMs only 'do' anything when they receive an event.
This requires the mouse to move over the ornamentation, or for any window
to change level, position or shape.  None of those happen while running
FlightGear, so the window manager never performs any screen activity.
In fact, in an extensive flightgear run, you can get the WM paged to disk!

At any given time, the video chipset is either in 2D or in 3D mode.
For old Matrox, the switch in mode takes significant real time, so much so
that the Utah-GLX developers have a visual on-screen indicator that can be
enabled to show when such a context switch was forced to occur.
The blue box is never apparent during normal flightgear execution.

Perhaps this helps prove my earlier comment that X WMs have no impact ?