Curtis L. Olson wrote:
 > Michael Selig writes:
 > > I have found the Ctrl-U very useful to jumping up in altitude.  Beginners
 > > like this feature too.  The current deal where the aircraft freezes on
 > > crashes is not so handy to me.
 >
 > LaRCsim was good at 'bouncing' on impact, but at least two other FDM's
 > I'm dealing with are more likely to have their math blow up when faced
 > with the excessively weird stuff that happens on impact.

Heh.  Making YASim bounce wouldn't be so terribly hard.  I'm just
having a little trouble imagining the requirement here.  OK, so
freezing on crashses isn't so handy.  What *is* a handy thing to do in
a crash?  I mean, I can't make the plane *not* crash; it already did! :)

There's really nothing "realistic" that can be done in this situation.
I suppose I could just invert the vertical component of velocity --
that would be a nice bounce.  In all seriousness, though, what would
you like?  All the consumer simulators I'm aware of do something
equivalent to freezing on crashes.  Some of them play nice animations
of the airplane disintigrating, which is basically the same thing as
far as the FDM is concerned.

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA