Alexander Kappes wrote:
 > Thanks, this solves part of my problem. However, I still have the
 > problem that for some reason the axis of the coolie hat (4 and 5 in
 > this example) are not uncorrelated for the FlightSimYoke. What I mean
 > with this is that for example if I don't touch the coolie axis 4 = 0
 > but axis 5 = -1. If I push it up then axis 4 = 1 and axis 5 = 0 and
 > for left axis 4 = 0 and axis 5 = 1. This is not the real mapping but
 > if I want to control both the lan and the long view direction with the
 > coolie hat I have to use a combination of the two axis for each
 > property. Is this possible?

This sounds to me as if one of the switches in your hat is bent, and
is in the "on" possition even when the hat it centered.  I've seen
exactly this effect in the past on a Thrustmaster Top Gun stick.
Joystick hardware basically sucks.  Run jscal and note all the
possibilities.  What you "should" see is zero for both axes when you
don't touch the hat, and independant motion when you do.  An 8-way hat
switch will also be able to report the corners (both axes at 1, for
example).

Another possibility is that the analog joystick driver has
miscalibrated the axes; as I remember it applies the calibration
numbers even to digital axes like hats.

What kind of stick do you have?

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA