----- Original Message -----
From: "David Megginson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 3:51 PM
Subject: re: [Flightgear-devel] new potential developer :)

> Christian Stock writes:
>
>  > Let me introduce myself, before I start with what I'm interested at.
>
> Welcome.  If you'd like a quick rundown of how we generate scenery
> currently, take a peek at this tutorial:
>
>   http://www.megginson.com/flightsim/fg-scenery-tutorial.html
>
> (The URL is temporary, until Curt adds the page to the TerraGear
> site.)  As you can see, we do all of our scenery generation in batch
> mode right now, with the advantage that we have semi-detailed,
> world-wide coverage and the disadvantage that local details are often
> less than perfect.
>
> Frederic Bouvier is working on an interactive scenery-modification
> tool; it works, but it's still in early stages and can perform only a
> few tasks (including placing static objects):
>
>   http://fgsd.sourceforge.net/
>
> We have fairly strict limits on polygons per tile right now, until we
> get around to implementing LOD; that means that anything finer than
> 100m-resolution (1:250,000) DEMs probably won't build.  We're still
> talking about LOD for terrain, but would love to have someone who
> actually does something rather than just talking about it.  Let me
> know about any help you might need.

Dave I've built custom scenery from 100m DEMs
only you need to increase FG_MAX_NODES from 4000 to maybe 40000
and have error in main.cxx for example 10 or 5 meters
on geforce3 and dualPIII800 I got 30 fps and have around 30000 nodes per
tile
and all works fine
But on mountains there are a lot errors when you built with min-angle=0 but
overwise you got a lot of polygons :(((
So a lot of things to do