For a while now, FlightGear has had support for adding static scenery
objects (like buildings) to *.stg scenery files using the syntax

The file is always loaded relative to the current scenery directory
(such as /usr/local/scenery/w080n40/w077n45), which is great for
one-off objects like the Golden Gate Bridge or the Empire State
Building, but not so useful for objects like radio towers, barns,
etc. that can be used over and over.

I have just added a new directive, OBJECT_SHARED, that works exactly
like the above except that it loads the object relative to $FG_ROOT
rather than the current scenery directory.  For example, I have my
$FG_ROOT at /usr/local/FlightGear/ and my $FG_SCENERY at
/usr/local/Scenery.  If I add this line to w080n40/w077n45/1696211.stg

  OBJECT_STATIC red-barn.ac -76.022499 45.319500 200 0

FlightGear will attempt to load

  /usr/local/Scenery/w080n40/w077n45/red-barn.ac

On the other hand, if I have

  OBJECT_SHARED Models/Buildings/red-barn.ac -76.022499 45.319500 200 0

FlightGear will attempt to load

  /usr/local/FlightGear/Models/Buildings/red-barn.ac

The big challenge right now is figuring out what tile to add an object
to -- I will try to whip up a Perl script to help with this.  Once
that's working, we can automatically add all NDB towers and VOR
transmitters from our current data and populate the world a little
more; one user has a copy of the FAA obstacle database, and that would
allow us even more detail in the U.S.

All the best,

David

--