Michael Selig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> At 10/16/02, Curtis L. Olson wrote:
> >Jim,
> >
> >Your Wright flyer model is really starting to look sharp!  Good
> >work. :-)
> >
> >People need to check this out if they haven't already:
> >
> >     fgfs --aircraft=wrightFlyer1903-v1-nl-uiuc
>
> The 1903 Wright Flyer has rudder coupled to wing warping.  For this to work
> out right use:
>
> fgfs  --aircraft=wrightFlyer1903-v1-nl-uiuc  --enable-auto-coordination
>
> Then be sure to not input any rudder w/ the stick (i.e. don't twist the
> joystick).

Yes, in fact that should be in the *-set.xml file.  It'd probably make sense
to disable the rudder control and the throttle as well (there was no throttle
 on the engine).   Another thing that was unique about the warping on the 1903
is the earlier glider twisted the entire wing structure.  With the 1903 they
trussed it all up so that only the trailing edges warped,  making it even more
aileron like.

> My confidence level in terms of the accuracy of the model (sans the engine)
> is pretty high.  It's largely based on NASA Ames data from tests on a
> replica, which I mention in the readme:
>
> ~/fgfsbase/Aircraft/UIUC/wrightFlyer1903-v1-nl/README.wrightFlyer1903.html
>

>From what I've read it seems pretty accurate.  It's hard to imagine what it
must have been like for them to fly that aircraft.  Wilbur tried it first,
yanking hard back on the elevator to get it to lift off which caused a near
stall and broken nose (on the aircraft).  Attempting the same thing with this
model has the identical result, without the damage of course.

Best,

Jim