> According to my native welsh friend (who also hacks the kernel, so I
> assume the technology is correct to):
> 'Too many collisions, DRI collides too much when playing Flightgear,
[...]

This sounds quite reasonable. I got a reply from Alan on 'dri-devel':

> > My lockup with flightgear on the 9000 with 4.2.99 based tree and a recent
> > DRM module.

I am (I suppose so) annoying the DRI people already for many months because
FlightGear reliably locks up their X server built from development source
tree. So I assume people start getting really interested in this issue
because they don't want an XFree86-4.3.0 release with obvious bugs that get
triggered by popular software ....

Martin.