> As to DRI (Welsh for THREE!) crashing, I don't even need FlightGear to
> crash my computer with DRI CVS, it crashes on startup of the X
> server. Hmmm, maybe it's time to also install the kernel module from
> DRI?

Yep, please pick the sources from:

xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/linux/drm/kernel/
xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/shared/drm/kernel/

and adjust the Makefile in your kernel tree accordingly. Or adjust
'xc/config/cf/linux.cf' to get the kernel modules built with 'make World',

Martin.