David Megginson wrote:

> Matt Fienberg writes:
>
>  > Please excuse the off-topic post...  But I'm too proud to hold back.
>  > Completed my first solo flight as PIC tonight at 13.9 hours.
>
> Congratulations!

Why, thank you (all)!

>  > First landing was pretty uneventful, aside from the pilot giving a
>  > "wahoo!" that could probably be heard from miles away.  Upwind wheel
>  > first, then downwind, then nose.  Pretty smooth.  Probably my best
>  > landing yet.  (Who needs that extra baggage in the right seat?)
>
> Did tower know that it was your first solo?  Around here, the schools
> always quietly phone tower in advance, and tower ensures that you get
> an easy circuit and congratulates you afterwards over the frequency
> just before handing you off to ground (so that all the big airliners
> get to hear as well).  From what I've heard, that's common at many
> towered airports.

Yes, my instructor told me that he'd call the tower to let them know.  I
got no indication from the tower that anything was different though.  On
the second of three touch and goes, I couldn't radio in at midfield since
there was an ongoing discussion between tower and an incoming Bonanza on an
instrument approach.  Finally, I hear him clear the Bonanza to land on
29er, and then he immediately calls me to let me know I'm number two.  At
this point, I'm still about 1000 AGL, now venturing out over the city of
Worcester...  I panicked a little bit, and later heard that my instructor
did too...  Speech was very clear over the radio, so maybe the phone call
had some effect.  Not that they'd disrupt an instrument approach to get a
solo 152 to touch and go ahead of them....