Matt Fienberg writes:

 > Yes, my instructor told me that he'd call the tower to let them
 > know.  I got no indication from the tower that anything was
 > different though.  On the second of three touch and goes, I
 > couldn't radio in at midfield since there was an ongoing discussion
 > between tower and an incoming Bonanza on an instrument approach.
 > Finally, I hear him clear the Bonanza to land on 29er, and then he
 > immediately calls me to let me know I'm number two.  At this point,
 > I'm still about 1000 AGL, now venturing out over the city of
 > Worcester...  I panicked a little bit, and later heard that my
 > instructor did too...  Speech was very clear over the radio, so
 > maybe the phone call had some effect.  Not that they'd disrupt an
 > instrument approach to get a solo 152 to touch and go ahead of
 > them....

Please remember that your 152 VFR has the same importance as a Bonanza
IFR (or a 747, for that matter), unless the other flight happens to be
a medevac, a declared emergency, or something similar.  The tower
chooses priorities based on safety and traffic flow, not aircraft size
or IFR/VFR.

I've often had tower ask a big airliner on an IFR approach to reduce
to minimum approach speed so that I can slip in in front (as a
courtesy, I usually increase my approach speed to about 110-120 kias
so that there's not any serious delay, and so that I feel less guilty
for holding up 200-300 passengers).

All the best,

David

--